Treating Inflammation with Red Light Therapy
What is inflammation?
Inflammation is our body’s natural response to pain, irritation, damaged cells, exposure to germs, and potential danger. There are two types of inflammation:
1. Acute inflammation
This type of inflammation happens as our body’s healthy response to injury or stress. We mean “healthy” because it helps the body recover faster. The inflammation happens only for a few hours and then starts to repair the damaged tissue.
2. Chronic inflammation
On the other hand, chronic inflammation can be excruciating and may cause discomfort or inconvenience. It causes an imbalance in the body, making it operate inefficiently over time. Chronic inflammation can be caused by viral infections, repetitive tissue damage,autoimmune reactions, and persistent and recurring acute inflammation. At its worse, this type of inflammation may lead to more serious diseases and/or conditions such as cancer, stroke, depression, and heart disorder.
Signs of Inflammation
There are five common signs of inflammation:
1. Heat on the inflamed area
2. Loss of function
How Red Light Therapy Works Against Inflammation?
Red light therapy decreases the number of inflammatory cells, increases fibroblast proliferation (cells that synthesize collagen and other matrix macromolecules), stimulates angiogenesis (creation of new blood vessels), and activates the body’s anti-inflammatory, antioxidant response.
● Red light therapy, also referred to as low-level laser therapy (LLLT) or photobiomodulation(PBM), is a non-invasive treatment option.
● This kind of therapy delivers wavelengths of red and near-infrared (NIR) light to your skin and cells for multiple benefits.
● When it comes to inflammation, it can help cut down oxidative stress and activate protective cellular mechanisms to boost your immune system and protect you from diseases that may cause inflammation.
● It can also boost the generation of healing agents and antioxidants in the body to speed up damaged tissues' healing process.